Greek Lentil Soup
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 4 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic diced small
- 1 T oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 2 cups lentils
- 4 cups tomatoes diced (fresh or canned)
- 4 cups broth ( vegetable or chicken)
- 2 -4 cups spinach chopped (optional)
- juice of 1 lemon – DO NOT LEAVE THIS STEP OUT
- salt & pepper to taste
- Drizzle oil in the pot and heat.
- Saute the onions until translucent.
- Add celery, and carrots. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, oregano, and basil and cook for two minutes more.
- Pour in the lentils, tomatoes, and broth.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for at least 1 hour. (3 hours is best if you have the time)
- Stir in spinach and lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper to taste.